4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2020 10:28 AM by m smith

Seeking grandfather's Declaration of Intent

Dan Enzone Newbie

I am looking for my grandfather's "Declaration of Intent".  He was naturalized in New Orleans, LA in the United States District Court of Eastern District of Louisiana, New Orleans Division on 5 December 1935.  I have copies of his "Certificate of Citizenship" and his "Certificate of Registry" but not the Declaration.  Would his "Declaration of Intent" be in the National Archives or the Court files?  If in the National Archives...how do I search for this document on-line.  Going to the National Archive in person is not practical at the current time.

• Re: Seeking grandfather's Declaration of Intent
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Enzone,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you contact the National Archives at Fort Worth (RM-FW) via email at ftworth.archives@nara.gov and ask RM-FW to conduct a search of their naturalization records for the Declaration of Intent by providing RM-FW with your grandfather’s full name, date of naturalization, and court where proceedings occurred. 

If the request with RM-FW is not successful, then we suggest that you obtain your grandfather’s Certificate File (C-File) available from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program via their website at  www.uscis.gov/genealogy.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful
            Dan Enzone Newbie

Thank you, I contacted the Ft Worth Office and have received a copy of the document.  Included in their reply was a document that provided the arrival information of my grandfather.  He arrived on the ship Principe di Piemonte on 3May1913.  I have searched on Ancestry.com and have been unable to find the Passenger List with his information.  Do you have any suggestions on how I may be able to obtain his Passenger Ship information, ie, his Passenger List Record.

m smith Newbie

I think the key may be in your original question, where you say you have in your possession a "Certificate of Registry." 

Registry proceedings in the 1930's were for immigrants who arrived after 1906 and wanted to naturalize but couldn't because no one could find their arrival record.  They filed an Application for Registry and provided documentation to prove they had been resident in the US since before 1921, and gave the best information possible to narrow down when, where, and how they arrived.  In the end, if the record wasn't found, the government picked a date and declared it their official arrival date for naturalization purposes.  But there was no record from 1913, only the "backdated" records created later (in this case likely in the early 1930s). 

All the paperwork--the application and all the supporting documents--were filed by INS in a Registry File.  If this immigrant had waited until after 1944 to naturalized that Registry File would have been moved and placed into (consolidated with) his C-File.  But since he naturalized in 1935 no files were moved.  Instead this immigrant would have both a Registry File and a C-File.  Both can be requested from the USCIS Genealogy Program but in this case the Registry File would have the most voluminous and unique content.

If the researcher has a true "Certificate of Registry," it may have somewhere on that document a number that starts with an "R."  NOT a number beginning with "CR," but just an "R" (R-#####).  That is the Registry File number that can be used to request the Registry File from USCIS.  If that number is not present they will have to first request a USCIS Genealogy index search to obtain the number, then request the file.

One more thing regarding searches of passenger lists online for a passenger like this, whose naturalization records provide an exact port/date/ship but that passenger cannot be found:  Try searching NARA microfilm publication T621, Index (Soundex) to Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, July 1, 1902-Dec 31, 1943.  This index should contain a different kind of index card for all those issued Certificates of Registry based on a claimed arrival at New York between 1906 and 1921/24.  The card may not provide the Registry File number (usually they show a "CR-number") but at least they tell you to abandon the passenger lists and switch to a search for a Registry File.

Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Enzone,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

We suggest that you search the National Archives Immigration Records (see Part 5) website for how and where to locate your grandfather’s passenger arrival record into the United States aboard the ship Principe di Piemonte.

We hope this is helpful.