3 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2020 12:46 AM by Bruce Schollard Jr.

    Looking for a service photo of my father


      I am looking for a service photo of my dad. He served in the Korean conflict. We would like to have this for a memorial flag in his hometown.


        • Re: Looking for a service photo of my father
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Sawyer,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


          If you haven’t already, we suggest that you request  a copy of his OMPF. OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Korean War are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          We hope this is helpful.


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Looking for a service photo of my father
            Bruce Schollard Jr. Newbie

            I am going through the same thing. My father served in the Korean war and Vietnam conflict. He passed away in 2008 and did not talk about or photos very,very little. I want and need to know more.

            1 person found this helpful