1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2020 7:01 PM by Henry Rosenberg

New Mary Church Terrell and Clara Barton materials! January 31 2020

Scout

Get excited everyone! In the run up to the launch of a new Campaign next week, we've launched some extra materials in the Mary Church Terrell and Clara Barton Campaigns. We anticipate that our newest Campaign will bring a lot of new folks to the site, and you all will be hungry for more content once you race through the new material. So we're adding materials for two of your favorite freedom fighters and all around amazing women, and I see that you've already made a start on both without any prompt from the By the People team. Mary Church Terrell has a solid 65 pages underway already, in just the last few hours. Looking at you Henry Rosenberg !

And don't forget, one of the best ways you can help us make these materials more discoverable to people is to focus on review. Only completed items can be published back on loc.gov, the Library's main website. So far we've published over 8000 transcriptions of the 100,000 or so pages you've all worked on (around 50,000 of which are completed). You can really help by seeking out documents that are nearly finished, and completing those. That can add a few dozen or even a few hundred pages to the cache of what we can bring back.

Thanks everyone!

Democracy in Action

Mary Church Terrell was active in a number of organizations that aimed to improve the lives and rights of American Americans, particularly women. She was frequently invited to serve on committees, give speeches, and provide funds to groups hoping to advance people of color through education, sports, and of course, by changing and improving the American legal system. In these papers you'll find evidence of her involvement with the National Association of Colored Women and the NAACP, both of which she cofounded, the National Association of College Women, the League of Women Voters, and others. Her anti-lynching, and desegregation work in Washington, DC, and support of Ruth Hanna McCormick's Illinois senatorial campaign, 1929-1930, are also represented.

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/mary-church-terrell-advocate-for-african-americans-and-women/democracy-in-action/?

Family correspondence

Clara Barton corresponded with various family members throughout her lifetime. In her letters, she discussed both personal and professional matters, including her views on women’s rights and other reform issues. Notable correspondents include Barton’s father, Stephen Barton; brothers, Stephen Barton, Jr. and David Barton; and her sister, Sarah “Sally” Barton Vassall; as well as many cousins, nieces, and nephews. See what you can discover about Barton’s family relationships by transcribing these letters and other documents.

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/clara-barton-angel-of-the-battlefield/family-correspondence/?

• Re: New Mary Church Terrell and Clara Barton materials! January 31 2020
          Henry Rosenberg Tracker

Hi Victoria- Ha ha- thanks for the mention. This is the section I am working in now. I'm in 1917 (page 6 out of 34) or so. So, I'll be bogged down here for a while. I didn't realize there would be more so that's a nice surprise. She was an amazing woman and accomplished so much. It has given me a much broader appreciation of the Civil Rights struggle. I'm glad there is so much interest in MCT.

Have a nice weekend.

Henry

Speeches and writings

Terrell was an avid writer and gifted public speaker. She was invited to speak at hundreds of events on diverse themes. Her drafts and the final, sometimes printed, copies of her lectures, reveal her bright mind at work and the depth of her ambition in expanding the freedom of women and African Americans. She attacked injustice from many perspectives: legal, moral, educational and more. Enjoy this rich trove of work from her college days at Oberlin and throughout her life.