1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2020 8:40 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking information about mortuary cars and rail lines

Kim Clarke Newbie

My grandfather was killed in WWII and returned to the U.S. as part of the repatriation program. His body arrived by ship at the Brooklyn Army Terminal in January 1949. It was then placed on a mortuary car (train) and transported to Indiana via an Army distribution center in Columbus, OH. Are there existing records that would show the train(s) that was used and the route it followed to Indiana (stops, other war dead on the train, personnel operating the train, etc.)?

I have my grandfather's IDPF, which shows the overall record of the transfer of his remains, but it does not indicate the level of detail I'm seeking regarding the mortuary car. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking information about mortuary cars and rail lines
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Clarke,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The information that you are seeking about the transportation by train of your grandfather’s remains from the Brooklyn Army Terminal to Columbus, Ohio are temporary records of the Army Quartermaster General. Under normal War Department records management procedures, such documentation would be destroyed after initial administrative use.

We hope this helpful.

2 people found this helpful