1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2020 4:21 PM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking military service records of Castle Coots


      I am seeking information about my grandfather's Military Service.  His name was Castle Coots.  He served in the 10th Infantry C and L Companies.  I believe he was in the 3rd battalion of C Company but unsure.  Any information would be helpful.  Thanks

        • Re: Seeking military service records of Castle Coots
          Lisha Penn Navigator

          Dear Mr. Coots,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II enlistment record for Castle Coots.


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943-1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that includes four file units of the 10th Infantry Regiment. We also searched World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office (Record Group 407) and located a history for September 28, 1855 - September 1946; after action reports for September 1944 - May 1945; and photographs for 1941 - 1944 of the 10th Infantry Regiment. Some records are digitized and available in the Catalog but not all.  For access to and/or copies of these file units, please contact the National Archives at Catalog - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          We suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.


          Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: ledgers and cards. The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy. The cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication that the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the cards. Please complete Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.


          We also searched Ancestry and located your grandfather’s World War II Draft Registration Card (no image). There may be a fee for using Ancestry to access digitized records. However, you may view these records online at one of NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!