5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2020 5:07 PM by Lynn McCreedy

Review partner for Elizabeth Cady Stanton docs

Lynn McCreedy Wayfarer

The latest Crowdsourcing email suggested that we use this site to find a partner for reviewing transcribed pages, to finish off almost-done documents that needed editing/reviewing on only a few pages. I actually have found more than one document that I thought I'd bring to completion by reviewing the remaining few pages, only to find out that I was the one who had edited those pages on a previous review attempt, & so could not do the (hopefully) final review. So if there's someone else out there who has also done enough work on Elizabeth Cady Stanton's writings and speeches to feel familiar with the quirks of her handwriting, and would like to coordinate with me to finish some of these documents, please get in touch. I suppose the moderator here would have suggestions as to the best means of contact (email?).

• Re: Review partner for Elizabeth Cady Stanton docs
          LOC Manuscript Division Tracker

Hi Lynn,

This discussion thread is a good place for potential collaborators to get in touch with you to coordinate finishing some of the documents in Elizabeth Cady Stanton's speeches and writings.

You can also email the Library's Crowdsourcing Team at crowd@loc.gov to ask if they can put you in touch with volunteers who might be able to help.

Edith

camsandwich Newbie

Hi Lynn,

I'm currently working on reviewing Carrie Chapman Catt's docs, but I'd be happy to close out some Stanton ones too. Mind posting a link or two to the ones you've edited that I can review and finish?

Lynn McCreedy Wayfarer

Hi there!

Thanks so much for your offer; here is a doc with several of my leftover pages needing review:

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/elizabeth-cady-stanton-papers/Speeches-and-writings/mss412100014/mss412100014-1/

I don't know if Carrie Chapman Catt's handwriting idiosyncrasies took much getting used to, but in my case, I'd say that I only got the hang of ECS's quirks after dozens of pages. You also get a feel for the author's rhetorical style, and favorite words & phrases. In Stanton's case, many of her letters (a, u, n, ...) look alike-- just energetic up-down strokes.  Her ampersands can look like commas. Punctuation was not her strong suit. But then, she was writing these docs for herself to give as speeches, mainly, so I give her a pass.

When I have reviewed others' pages, I decided after a point to accept transcription that was textually correct, even if minor issues remained (Was that a comma or a period? Differing paragraph styles: indent vs extra line. That sort of thing.) But if the line breaks don't match up with the handwritten doc, or if hyphenations aren't reassembled at the ends of lines, I re-edit those pages. Certainly if I disagree about the actual text. And if I am re-editing, then I do go with my preferences for the little things like paragraph indents, etc. From what I have glimpsed of pages accepted by others, that's how we all have been muddling through.

Thanks again!

Lynn

camsandwich Newbie

Lynn,

I generally forgive a single capitalization or comma/period, but when there are two or it may change the meaning of the sentence I edit it. I've also been just opening the documents with lots of [?]s. Even if I can't interpret them, the documents don't seem finished to me.

Lynn McCreedy Wayfarer

Hi cam,

I think we have pretty similar standards. ???'s do catch my eye too, though in a few cases, what they indicate is that the original doc had a torn edge, so every line might begin or end with a ?. Generally, though, less experienced transcribers (or those who haven't done many doc pages in a given author's handwriting) will have more parts they're unsure of, & so more ?'s for the next person to figure out. I know I did.

I think you should go ahead & review my pages, or really, anyone's, for that matter. And I won't be shocked if my re-edits need more re-editing before they are good enough for the public. Like most people who choose this as volunteer work, I am fairly detail-oriented, but not perfect.