1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2020 2:38 PM by Hannah Bingham

Seeking letters of Col. George Wright

Cathy Parisi Newbie

I'm looking for a letter/report dated approximately 24 August 1856, written by U.S. Army Colonel George Wright of the 9th Infantry, while at Fort Dallas, to Pacific headquarters.  I thought it might be in the Record Group 94, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, but couldn't find it there.  Can someone tell me where I can find this document?  Thank you so much for your help.

• Re: Seeking letters of Col. George Wright
          Hannah Bingham Adventurer

Dear Ms Parisi,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Unregistered Letters and Telegrams Received, 1848 - 1865 and Letters and Telegrams Received, 1849 - 1865 of the Department of the Pacific in the Records of U.S. Army Continental Commands (Record Group 393). We also located the series titled Order Book, 1855 - 1859 of the 9th Infantry in the Records of the Regular Army Mobile Units, U.S. (Record Group 391). These series may contain the letter you seek. For access to these series, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

In addition, we searched the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1762-1917 (Record Group 94) but were unable to locate a letter from Colonel George Wright to the Department of the Pacific.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!