1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 29, 2020 8:47 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking medical records from US Army Hospital, Fort Lee


      I understand that a fire destroyed military records at the St Louis National Archives for the time period of 1954.  Where would the hospital medical records from the Fort Lee Army Hospital be archived for 1954?

        • Re: Seeking medical records from US Army Hospital, Fort Lee
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Ouellette,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Individual medical reports of veterans who left the Army prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Please complete a NA Form 13042 and mail it to the National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.


          Clinical records created prior to 1960 for Army personnel were usually filed in the Official Military

          Personnel File (OMPF). They were not retired to National Personnel Records Center in separate shipments by hospitals. Unfortunately, many of the documents recording inpatient care for Army veterans were destroyed in the 1973 fire, such as those referenced 1954 hospital medical records for Fort Lee. An exception to this would be those Army clinical records (dating back as early as 1957) which were maintained at Clinical Record Libraries at selected treatment facilities but do not include Fort Lee.


          We hope this is helpful.