1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 27, 2020 1:26 PM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking records on PVT Alphonsus Schertel


      Hello, I am looking for information on a relative of mine named Alphonsus Schertel from perhaps Boyertown, PA (I think) and was a private in the army. I am looking for enlistment/discharge dates and what war was he in.  Any additional info would be great. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking records on PVT Alphonsus Schertel
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Stauffer,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II enlistment record for Alphonsus Schertel.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File. Unit information may be listed in his OMPF. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!