8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2020 11:58 AM by Gretchen Schulz

    Seeking where my father served in WWll


      Hello, My father Gilbert Paul Schulz, was born in Utica, NY,  2/3/1928. His parents were Carl Schulz and Harriet Schulz. He died 05/1997. He had an older sibling, Norma Schulz (Moles) and a younger brother, Alfred Wallace Schulz. He served in WWll near the last years of the war. He was an MP. I was wondering if I can find what troop he was in, as well as where they traveled. He told me when he was alive that they were MPs and skied through the Italian Alps to check on the small towns and villagers.  I am trying to find more information about that time in his life. Thank you.



        • Re: Seeking where my father served in WWll
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Mr. Schultz,


          Have you tried contacting the NPRC in St. Louis, MO to see if they have his service records? Here is his service # 12246472. This was off the AAD Enlistment records. I would request records if you have not done so. It may help you in searching your fathers military service. Please request full service members file OMPF file, if you just request Discharge papers that all you'll receive, need to be very specific.




          Elliot Schneider

          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking where my father served in WWll
            Lisha Penn Pioneer

            Dear Ms. Schulz,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you obtain a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.


            After you receive his OMPF and know the military unit that he served with, please post a follow-up request on History Hub with this additional information.


            We hope this is helpful.


            2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking where my father served in WWll
              joan stachnik Tracker

              Hi, just to add to Elliot's response to your posting, the AAD records has an enlistment date of 17 Sept 1946. Also, if you have a higher resolution image of your dad's photo, showing the insignia on his cap, someone might recognize the unit. And you might want to check with NY state/county VA services to see if your dad registered his service papers upon his return home. Hope this is of some help. joan

              1 person found this helpful
              • Re: Seeking where my father served in WWll
                Phillip Bussey Wayfarer

                I agree with another message, that the badge on the cap is probably a regimental crest, and a good image of that would permit you to search the image on Google image search to ID the Regiment. Once you know the regiment then their history should be easily found.


                I tried with Photoshop to enlarge the badge from the picture accompanying your inquiry, but the scan is not good enough for that to happen. Please either rescan or have the image rescanned to get as detailed an overall picture as possible and post it again. The more pixels the better. Even an ordinary picture should be able to be scanned in great detail.


                If you have any of your father's personal effects there you may very well have a regimental crest simply mixed in with the small stuff. Lots of vets kept the badges. They tend to be pretty distinctive, and a little smaller than a 50 cent coin.


                Your dad may also have a letter or two around about his membership in a vet's association or the like, which may have a reference to a unit. If he was in the local VFW the same data may still be there along with their papers on him, like an application for membership. Even if they don't it's quite possible that other members may recall him talking about his service and can possibly give you some tips on that. Ask around about that, including any older relatives on your mom's side of the family as well.


                Hope this helps.



                1 person found this helpful