1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 16, 2020 7:54 AM by Holly Rivet

Seeking WW II Military Records for Edgar M Morris

Dave Morris Newbie

Seeking Army WWII military service records for Edgar M Morris. I was referred by a just discovered, long lost NARA document for Edgar M Morris who was in the Army in WWII that there is further service related documentation & information concerning him located in BOX 0341 & Reel 3.63.

He enlisted in the Maryland National Guard on 02-03-1941. His service number is 20342720. I believe that much of the Maryland & Virginia National Guard was federalized into the 116th Infantry Regiment which was subordinated to the 29th Infantry Division. The 116th Infantry Regiment was in the initial allied wave that attacked Omaha Beach in Normandy on D-Day.

He never ever talked about any of his wartime experience with any of us kids & I’d just to learn more about what he did. I am both technically & administratively illiterate & have no idea of how to gain access to & review the Box & Reel which is listed as the location of his information.

• Re: Seeking WW II Military Records for Edgar M Morris
          Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Morris,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub! 

The Box & Reel information comes from the Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938-1946; World War II Army Enlistment Records, RG 64.  Here is the link to all of the information regarding Edgar M. Morris from that record unit.  For more information regarding this regarding this unit, please see this FAQ .pdf. 

The National Archives at St. Louis houses Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) from this time period.  These records are releasable to the public when the date of separation becomes 62 years from today’s date, but next of kin also may request copies.  You may request these OMPFs to view in our local Research Room for no charge.  If you prefer, you may also complete an SF-180 form and send it to the following address for paper copies of his record.   

National Archives and Records Administration

National Archives at St. Louis

ATTN: RL-SL

PO Box 38757

St. Louis, MO 63138

We hope this information is helpful!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet