1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2020 10:35 AM by Rebecca Collier

Curious about use of redaction authority in ISCAP article

techhistorynerd Adventurer

Hi!  I was looking at the declassified report SIGINT Implications of Military Oceanography on the ISCAP website and noticed the withholding authority "25X3 and 6, E.O. 13526", "50 U.S.C. 3605 (P.L. 86-36)" was used in the final ISCAP verdict. The journal itself dates from 1967, which presumably motivated the use of the 25x withholding authority, which would still have been effective for the overall report at the time of the ISCAP decision (i.e.  a publication date 48 years old in 2015.)

The part that I'm a little curious about is the specifically targeted redactions in the APPENDIX Enigma history, none of which mention an event date later than 1949.  Given the historical nature of the summary, it would seem that at least some of the information in question on that page (unlike the article as a whole) dates much earlier than 1967 - wouldn't it require the 50x authority in that case?  Or are such decisions based on the overall publication date of the specific document under review, rather than the age of the facts/information itself?