1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 15, 2020 7:59 AM by Jason Atkinson

Looking for military records of Franklin Lee Alford

Tra Mason Newbie

My name is Tra Mason and I am looking for information on my great grandfather, Franklin Lee Alford. He served in WWII and was a 1st Sgt. My mom says he was in the 1st Infantry and stormed the beaches at Normandy. I want to know more about his service in WWII. He was born July 21 1918 in Kentucky I believe. His mother's name was Dollie Embry and his father's name was Franklin P Alford. He was awarded a purple heart also if that helps. Also, I don't have his DD-214. My grandmother had it but she passed away a few years ago and I have no idea where it is.

• Re: Looking for military records of Franklin Lee Alford
          Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Ms. Mason,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest you begin by requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs).  OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please fill out the form to the best of your knowledge. If you do not know the information requested in a given field, you can leave this blank, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NARA staff to find responsive records.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Draft Registration Cards for Texas, 1940 - 1945 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) that includes a draft registration card for Franklin Lee Alford, born 21 July 1919 in Horse Branch, Kentucky.  Please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) via email at stl.archives@nara.gov to access these records. The card can also be viewed online through Fold3 at https://www.fold3.com/image/626317684.  There may be a fee for this service, or you may access Fold3 for free at any National Archives location. Some libraries also provide free access to Fold3 to their patrons.

We also located World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 1st Infantry Division.  General Orders in the unit records often list awardees, although awards orders for Purple Hearts are sometimes included with records of the hospital instead. His DD-214 should list the unit that awarded his Purple Heart. Please contact HIstory Hub again when you have the general order (GO) citation.

Also, you may wish to contact the First Division Museum and the Society of the 1st Infantry Division for more information.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!