1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 13, 2020 3:41 PM by Lisha Penn

Seeking uncle's military records & records of 4136th AAF Base Unit

Dianne Kennedy Newbie

I have my uncle Joe Kennedy's DD-214 that says he was in Squadron BA, 4136th AAF Base Unit. No help for research. He says he in the Battle Campaign for the Rhineland. Since overseas, how to I find out more about his service information? Because his name starts with a 'K' will I be told his records burned?

• Re: Seeking uncle's military records & records of 4136th AAF Base Unit
          Lisha Penn Tracker

Dear Ms. Kennedy,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force/Air Force units.  We searched the Air Force History Index to the microfilm and located records of the 4136th Army Air Force Base Unit for WWII on Reel A2122, Frames 1710-1810; Reel A2123, Frames 93-267; and Reel B2615, Frames 651-666. For access to the microfilm reels, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We suggest that you obtain a copy of your uncle’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.

You may wish to review Oklahoma World War II Army Airfields; Rhineland Offensive; and Rhineland for additional background information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!