1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 8, 2020 10:06 AM by Jason Atkinson Branched from an earlier discussion.

    Seeking to obtain DD-214 for father


      I am seeking to obtain a DD-214 for my Father.  The records were destroyed in the St. Louis fire of 1973.  There seem to be several alternative avenues of research that I could follow. My father was in the Army from 1955-1958.  I have is service number and dog tags, they are the only evidence that he was there.  My Father is 86 years old, so time is of the essence. Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking to obtain DD-214 for father
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Hanson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest contacting the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis.  Although the Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) was either damaged or destroyed in the 1973 fire, the Army and Air Force provided the National Archives with auxiliary records to assist in rebuilding records. Please ask him to submit a SF-180 to the NPRC, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138. Fill the form out to the best of your knowledge. If he doesn’t remember everything, please have him fill in estimations as they will help the NPRC staff to locate anything they have regarding his service.


          We hope this information is helpful.