1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 10, 2020 8:15 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Military records of deceased father


      I'm looking for the military service records for my father, Cecil Arthur Jeffere, who was born April 8, 1932 and died May 8, 1993. He served in the Army.

        • Re: Seeking Military records of deceased father
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Finley,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please fill out the form to the best of your knowledge. If there is something you do not know, you can leave that space blank, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NARA staff to find the right records. For more information see Request Military Service Records. As next of kin of the veteran, you can also use eVetRecs to request his records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!