4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2020 8:43 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking Port of Entry when George Sherlowsky immigrated to US

Rudolph Sherlowsky Newbie

I am just beginning to research the history of my Grandfather, George R. Sherlowsky. According to the records I have been able to access thus far, I have found that he immigrated to the U.S. from Europe, with the immigration year being 1915. I do not know what port of entry he arrived at or what port he started his journey from. The 1920 census indicates that he was born in Poland and also have a family document showing he studied to be a blacksmith in Germany before heading to the U.S.

• Re: Seeking Port of Entry when George Sherlowsky immigrated to US
          Henry Rosenberg Tracker

I have done a search on familysearch.org. There are 2 George Sherlowsky's. One was born in Poland and immigrated in 1915 and lived in Minnesota. The other is George R or George who was born in Germany, immigrated in 1921 and lived in Wisconsin. Is the first one definitely your relative? Also, during WW1, Poland was overrun and may have been considered Germany during the war so that may confuse things for you or explain why he was trained in Germany.

If you have more information it may help. Occasionally if you have other family members names you can back trace information.Sometimes this research takes time. I have done some for my and my wife's family on and off for years.

BTW, The Ports of entry were New York,Boston, Philadelphia,Baltimore and New Orleans. You may be stuck searching each one.

Good luck,

Henry

Rudolph Sherlowsky Newbie

Hello Henry,

Thank you for writing me. It is very kind of you, and is much appreciated. I've perused the same records and have found conflicting data, to include his date of birth, place of birth, and date of immigration. I am pretty much certain that both records are of my grandfather due to knowing the family story of him having a previous marriage in Minnesota. I've read that inconsistencies at times are to be expected. He settled in Minnesota, Married, had a child and then left his wife and child due to infidelity by his first wife, and then moved to South Dakota where he met his second wife (my grandmother), married, had my father then move to Milwaukee, where our family resides now. I guess the next step is to find his port of arrival. I guess this will be my next big challenge. I did a quick check of the ports you mentioned, and didn't come up with anything though I used a variation of the spelling (Scherlowski) which I found on a photo of a tombstone my family believes to be of his brother back from the "old country" the story goes he was shot in the back while in the military during the war while trying to escape from enemy forces. I guess this is the point where I need to start documenting everything and take an organized approach to searching databases and attempt to find archival microfiche if not indexed online. I have thought of going to the local Church of Ladder Day Saints. I believe it is the same records of either Family Search or Ancestry, not sure off-hand. I sent for a copy of his naturalization record from Minnesota. I am hoping that it has info regarding his port arrival, I don't know off-hand what all info is recorded by this record. My hopes are then are to identify his port of embarkation in Europe and backtrack through Germany. I believe you are right to say that during the war, the borders changed quite a bit and a lot of the records were destroyed. Of course I find myself desiring to finally solve my grandfathers journey as a young man for which our family is for the most part is unaware to this date. It would appear that he was the only one who came over to North America and that all relations to the old country were severed at that time, unfortunately. It is interesting that our surname is the only one in America, though in searching records in Poland the name seems to be as common as the name Smith. What I also find interesting is that this process seems to put life, my life in perspective, now that I am getting up in years. Almost like writing the final chapter and assessing what life has meant in the big picture of humanity, if that makes any sense.  Thanks again Henry!

Take Care,

Rudolph

1 person found this helpful
              Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Sherlowsky,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Population Schedules for the 1920 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29). The census records for Minnesota are not yet digitized and available in the Catalog. For access to and/or copies, please contact the National Archives at Washington - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

We also searched Ancestry and located a reference to George R. Sherlowsky’s naturalization paperwork submitted in Ramsey, Minnesota; and his wife Mary’s naturalization paperwork submitted in Ramsey which both can be obtained from the Minnesota Historical Society.

Depending on the date of record, the Declaration and/or Petition can provide clues to passenger arrival date/location.  Based on probable date of naturalization proceedings, it is likely that George would also have a Certificate FIle (C-File) available through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program. We also suggest that you search the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program’s website to locate their records. USCIS maintains immigration and naturalization related files that its predecessor, Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) created during the mid-1900s. You can submit an Index Search to determine if any records may exist. They may have a Certificate File (C-File) that will contain their Petition for Naturalization and/or Certificate of Naturalization in it.

On Ancestry, we also located George living in Ramsey, Minnesota with his wife, their son Hubert, and in-laws on the 1920 Census; possibly on the 1930 Census residing in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and a possible Railroad retirement pension record (no image). There may be a fee for using Ancestry to access digitized records. However, you may view these records online at one of NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

You may wish to search Poland Archives and Libraries Genealogy; Poland Holdings of the Polish State Archives Genealogy; and Online Records for Poland for additional information about George R. Sherlowsky’s emigration from Poland to the United States.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Some information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]