7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2020 4:15 PM by joan stachnik

Seeking military records of relatives

Michael Majer Newbie

I am aware of that that my grandfather and his brother, David Hammer and Daniel Hammer, emigrated to the US during the 1930's or early 40's from Poland and became American citizens. Both have served in the US Army. The only information I have except for the above is that David was in some artillery force during World War II and moved to Israel some time after it. I have some uncertain information that Daniel also served in the US Army during WWII, possibly in North Africa. Moreover, I heard from another relative that Daniel spent most of his life after the war in California, as an owner of some toys store. I would highly appreciate if any further information regarding their military service could be found. Both are not alive and the information given here is the most I could achieve from old documents and conversations with relatives.

• Re: Seeking military records of relatives
          joan stachnik Scout

Hi, I was able to find a little bit of non-military information possibly on your relatives (which you may already know?). On Familysearch.org, the 1940 census has a David and Daniel Hammer (born 1916 and 1919, respectively in Poland) living in St. Paul City, St. Paul Minnesota. They are listed as living with an uncle (Nehemiah Posnansky). Familysearch.org also has a draft registration card for the same David Hammer (same address and next of kin). An image of the card should be attached. Hope this is of some help to you. joan Draft registration card

1 person found this helpful
            joan stachnik Scout

Hi, there was also a draft registration card for Daniel Hammer on the Familysearch.org website. joan draft registration card

joan stachnik Scout

Hi, sorry for the multiple posts but Familysearch.org seems to have additional information for Daniel Hammer (DOB 11/1/1919 in Bledow (Warsaw), Poland). If this is your relative, it looks as though he submitted a declaration of intention for citizenship shortly after arrival to the US and completed his petition for naturalization while in service. Both of these documents are on Familysearch.org (a free service after registration). The petition for naturalization is dated Nov 21, 1943 and signed/witnessed in Canastel, Algeria.  Per the document, Daniel's ASN was 37160975 and his unit is listed as Co. D., 9th Bn, 1st Replacement Depot.  If you have not already done so, you can try to request his military service records from the National Archives. Hope this is the right person and is of some help. joan Petition for Naturalization

Michael Majer Newbie

Thank you very much for all 3 replies. I have a single relative that still remembers some details and she's familiar with the dates and name of the mentioned uncle (which I did not know about). Thank you very much! I will try to search more military information, also via National Archives. I highly appreciate this information.

Still, If someone has any other information or suggestion, I would love that.

joan stachnik Scout

Michael, glad you found the information of use. There was also one more item for David (I think it's the correct person). The naturalization record for his citizenship, filed in Federal Courts in Northern California. If David was also in the service (possibly stationed in California?) when he completed his citizenship, his military unit might be listed on the full application.  There should be information on the NARA website on how to go about requesting the application. Hope this is of help. Joan Naturalization index

Elliot Schneider Navigator

Michael,

You can also try contacting the following below for Minnesota State Archives. They have wonderful stuff available for research. Please see link below

https://libguides.mnhs.org/milservice/ww2

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Mr. Majer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest you begin by requesting a copy of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs).  OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1957 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please fill out the form to the best of your knowledge. If you do not know the information requested in a given field, you can leave this blank, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NARA staff to find responsive records.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!