1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 6, 2020 12:43 PM by Catherine Brandsen

When will the newly scanned Buffalo Soldiers' records be available?

Natasha Holt Newbie

I have seen the story that there are new records on the Buffalo Soldiers' being scanned starting on June 20th. (does not state the year). I am anxious to access these records.

• Re: When will the newly scanned Buffalo Soldiers' records be available?
          Catherine Brandsen Adventurer

Dear Ms. Holt,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

NARA started scanning these files in 2019, and are uploading the Buffalo Soldiers pension files as volunteers finish them. We're going through the list alphabetically, and right now we're up to letter G. You can find the files by searching "BuffaloSoldiers" (all one word) in our catalog. There are about 100 files online now, and we'll keep adding more in the future.

Please let me clarify that these files only cover Buffalo Soldiers who applied for a pension based on service in Indian Wars campaigns. There are many more files that cover African American soldiers who served either in the Civil War, or after the Civil War, but not in any Indian Wars campaigns. Currently these are not part of this project, but some have been scanned by researchers.

To search for pension files relating to African American soldiers:

• go to Record Group 15 in our catalog
          • scroll down to find the "Search within this record group" button and click on it
          • enter relevant search terms in the search box. Try terms such as:
            • "colored troops"
            • "24th U.S. Infantry"
            • "25th U.S. Infantry"
            • "38th U.S. Infantry"
            • "39th U.S. Infantry"
            • "40th U.S. Infantry"
            • "41st U.S. Infantry"
            • "9th U.S. Cavalry"
            • "10th U.S. Cavalry"

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful