2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2020 7:14 PM by Keith Northington

Seeking newspaper article with information on my brother from 1978

Lydia Vinson Newbie

Please help me find the Newspaper article about PFC Danny Thompson car accident in 1978 near Augusta GA on Interstate 20.

Thank you. Lydia

• Re: Seeking newspaper article with information on my brother from 1978
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Vinson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If he died during the accident or afterwards and he was still in the Army, the information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs dated after 1976 are in the legal custody of the Army. For the exact location of these files, please contact Anthony Crawley-Gibson, Army Records Officer, Army Records Management Division, 7701 Telegraph Road, Alexandria, VA 22315. The telephone number is 703-428-6464 and email is anthony.d.crawley-gibson.civ@mail.mil. Please request the name of the facility, transfer numbers, and box numbers.

Also, you may wish to search Augusta Chronicle Archives, 1792-1993 for possible newspaper articles about his car accident if it occurred outside of the Fort Gordon Army military base in Augusta, Georgia.

We hope this is helpful.

1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking newspaper article with information on my brother from 1978
              Keith Northington Wayfarer

SInce Danny Thompson is such a common name, it would help if you could provide any additional details that would help focus the search on the correct person.  Do you have an estimated month or day in 1978 when the accident occurred?  The names of his parents?  The date of birth?  If married, the names of his wife and/or children, if any?  The names of his parents?

**************************************************************************************************************************