5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2020 11:28 AM by Phyllis Buckman

Looking for a roster of service men at Camp Lee in 1917

Phyllis Buckman Newbie

I am trying to find a list of Army personnel that served at Camp Lee/Fort Lee Virginia in 1916/1917. I am particularly looking for men with the last name of Hedrick. This is for genealogical purposes. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Re: Looking for a roster of service men at Camp Lee in 1917
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Buckman,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

According to a U.S. Army Center of Military History slideshow on Camp Lee, Virginia, the camp was established 18 July, 1917, to serve as a training camp for the 80th Division, which was stationed there August 1917 through May 1918.  In addition to the 80th Division, various other units spent time in the camp. These units are listed in the slideshow. At its peak, there were 57,342 soldiers stationed at Camp Lee in July 1918.

Copies of most of the unit monthly rosters from 1912-43 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, MO. Please contact them for access to these records. The address is the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757 and the email address is stl.archives@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful
            Phyllis Buckman Newbie

Amazing! I found him through finally locating my father's original birth certificate, which I have been seeking for about 20 years, where I learned his first name, Luther. Searching further I found that he was Luther Ashworth Hedrick with the 317th Infantry Regiment of the 80th Infantry Brigade organized in the latter part of 1917 at Camp Lee. He deployed from there in May of 1918 to France aboard the Mongolia and returned in the summer of 1919 on the Nansemond! Question answered!

1 person found this helpful
                J. Andrew Scout

If this is the same Luther Ashowrth Hedrick that was born 1893 in Virginia and died in 1968 in Texas then a quick search of Ancestry came up with records about him in the  collections U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918;  U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942; Newspapers.com Obituary Index, 1800s-current; U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014; and the 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 federal censuses. There might be something in the 1900 census and other collections as well.  Ancestry is available free of charge at any National Archives location and at some libraries.  The selective service records and the census records can also be accessed through the National Archives.  If you haven't done so already, you can request his Official Military Personnel File.

I suspect I'm telling you things you've already looked at by now, but just trying to be helpful. 

Also, if I might offer a minor point of correction, the 317th Infantry Regiment was part of the 80th Infantry Division, not brigade.  There are a number of sources online about the history of the 80th Infantry Division during World War I, to include 80th Division Summary of Operations in the World War published by the American Battle Monuments Commission.

Phyllis Buckman Newbie

Thank you so much for contacting me, Mr. Andrew. Yes, the information you cite is good and, yes, I have discovered this and so much more. I have been searching for my father's father for so long; this year will be twenty-two years since I began in earnest to look for the mystery man who was my grandfather. Having finally found his birth certificate and through such wonderful records available now on the internet such as Ancestry.com, FamilySearch.org, FindAGrave.com and others, I am now in touch with cousins I never knew existed and we are finding such a connection in spirit and joy. They were unaware of their (our) grandfather's son, my dad, of course. It is wonderful. I will be requesting the Official Military Personnel File as I did long ago for my father's records. We'll see what happens with that.

I thank you, also, for correcting my error about the 80th Division. I see now that I was hasty in that I meant to say that he was in the 317th, 159th Brigade Infantry, 80th Division. Oh how excitement of the moment can cause us to err. I must be more careful.

Again, I so appreciate your kindness in contacting me. I hope that your own research goes well.

May God bless you,

Phyllis Hood Buckman