1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 2, 2020 10:57 AM by Lisa Sharik

Seeking Legion of Merit award citation

James Robbens Newbie

This award was given to the husband of my wife's cousin, Marie Adele Larchet.  I can find no citation or evidence as to why this non-flying Royal Air Force officer should have been given such a prestigious award. Can anyone provide any answers?

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 29 JUNE, 1945

CONFERRED BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Legion of Merit (Degree of Officer).

Squadron Leader Cecil Percival RENSHAW (79976), R A.F.V.R.

• Re: Seeking Legion of Merit award citation
          Lisa Sharik Wayfarer

I am not sure where the orders for the Legion of Merit are kept, but the award is not only for US military personnel. It can be awarded to foreigners. Brief description of the award:

An Act of Congress (Public Law 671-77th Congress, Chapter 508, 2d Session) on 20 July 1942, established the Legion of Merit and provided that the medal "shall have suitable appurtenances and devices and not more than four degrees, and which the President, under such rules and regulations as he shall prescribe, may award to

(a) personnel of the Armed Forces of the United States and of the Government of the Commonwealth Philippines and

(b) personnel of the armed forces of friendly foreign nations who, since the proclamation of an emergency by the President on 1939-09-08, shall have distinguished themselves by exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services."

The medal was announced in War Department Bulletin No. 40, dated 5 August 1942. Executive Order 9260, dated 29 October 1942, by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, established the rules for the Legion of Merit and required the President's approval for the award. However, in 1943, at the request of General George C. Marshall, approval authority for U.S. personnel was delegated to the War Department.

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces Museum

1 person found this helpful