Dear Mr. Powers,
Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!
The Office of Strategic Services’s station in Bern, Switzerland, under the leadership of Allen Dulles, sent reports on the activities of the plotters involved in the failed July 20, 1944 assassinated attempt on Hitler. His messages regarding the plotters were code-named BREAKERS. Most of those BREAKERS messages are in the record series titled Research and Development Radio and Cable Files, 1942 - 1945 in the Records of the Office of Strategic Services (Record Group 226). Additional BREAKERS documents in Athens, Austria, Bari, Belgium, Bern, Caserta, Heidelberg, Lisbon, London, and Washington Field Station Files, 1943 - 1946; Washington Branch Records, 1943 - 1945; and Washington Office Operations and Service Records, 1942 - 1946. For access to these records, please contact National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at Archives2reference@nara.gov.
We also searched the National Archive Catalog and located the following records relating to the assassination plot. For more information about specific records, please email the reference unit listed as the contact in the Catalog description or post a followup question here on History Hub.
- Photographs Related to the Investigation of the Attempted Assassination of Adolf Hitler
- Trial of the Defendants for the 20 July 1944 Attempt to Assassinate Hitler, 1944 - 1944
- Records Relating to the Participation of Max Ulrich Graf von Drechsel in the Assassination Plot Against Adolf Hitler
- Special Interrogation Reports
- Directorate Files
- Nazi Supreme Court Trial of the Anti - Hitler Plot
- GENERAL OBERST LUDWIG BECK'S SPEECH
- Photographs of the Allies and Axis, 1942 - 1945
- Records Relating to Political, Military, and Economic Affairs
- G-2 Periodic Reports Relating to the 9th U.S. Army
- European Theater Historical Interrogation (ETHINT) Reports Conducted as a Component of U.S. Army Europe Foreign Military Studies
- English Language Supplements to European Theater Historical Interrogation (ETHINT) Reports Conducted as a Component of U.S. Army Europe Foreign Military Studies
- GERMAN NEWSREEL EXCERPTS
- PARAMOUNT NEWS [AUG. 7]
- THE WORLD TODAY
- DIE DEUTSCHE WOCHENSCHAU
- Papers of Field Marshal Werner von Blomberg
- Copies of German Records
- Sources and Methods Files
- German Transcription and English Translation of the Diary of Franz Halder
- Records of the Headquarters of the German Army High Command
- Photographs of American Military Operations
You also may be interested in the blog post 20 July Plot and Operation Valkyrie which highlights some of the photographs in NARA’s holdings related to the plot and its aftermath.
There may be additional records in the custody of the Federal Archives of Germany.
We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!
Good Morning Mr. Atkinson,
I am truly grateful for your assistance in providing all of these links. I am writing my Masters' thesis on Allied involvement with German opposition groups and this information will greatly assist my efforts.