2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2020 8:26 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of Ernst Sundqvist


      Hello, my name is Fredrik Sundqvist and I'm from Sweden. I'm in search of any information about my grandfather's older brother, Ernst Sundqvist, that traveled to the States and most likely served in the Armed Forces during World War II. At least this is what I think since we got a flag together with his belongings (in the 40's) sent home to Sweden. The flag has 48 stars so as far as I know it should be from that time.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Ernst Sundqvist
          joan stachnik Tracker

          HI, I did a quick search on Familysearch.org and found a listing for Ernst G. Sundqvist, born in 1904 from Sweden. This individual enlisted in the US Army in Oct 1942 out of Tacoma, Washington. His civilian occupation is listed as shoemaker/repair. His Army Serial Number is 39193196. If you think this may be your relative, you can try to request any available military service records from the St. Louis Archives. Hope this is of some help. joan

          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records of Ernst Sundqvist
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Sundqvist,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            To seek the records of Ernst Sundqvist, please begin by requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1956 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


            If he died while in service, there should be an Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF) for him. For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z,  please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


            We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            2 people found this helpful