1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 10, 2020 11:34 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking a military picture of father


      I am currently looking for a veteran for my wife. Her Dad was in the Navy from 1977 to 1979. He was in Port Hueneme, California. Is there anyone that can help me?

        • Re: Seeking a military picture of father
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Mr. Davis,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File. However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1956 and prior to January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.


          If you are seeking how to get in touch with her father, the National Archives does not have the present addresses of former service personnel. The Federal agency most likely to have such addresses is the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA can forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA, and they have an address on record. To forward a message, please write your message and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Also include a note to the VA explaining who it is you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Place all of this in another envelope addressed to the nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office (you can find the address at https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp). If the veteran is in their records, your message to the veteran will be sealed and the envelope addressed to the address they have on file for the veteran. Please note that the veteran may not have informed the VA of a change of address, so they cannot guarantee receipt of your message. If the veteran receives your note, it is then up to the veteran to contact you.


          In addition, we suggest these articles and/or books for supplemental information about how to locate your wife’s father:


          • Gormley, Myra Vanderpool.” 20th Century Military Records.”; Heritage Quest 10 (May-June 1987), pp. 3-7.


          • Hinckley, Kathleen W. “Locating the living: Twentieth Century Research Methodology.”; National Genealogical Society Quarterly 77 (September 1989), pp. 186-196.


          • Johnson, Richard S. How to Locate Anyone Who Is or Has Been in the Military, Eighth Edition. Fort Sam Houston, TX: Military Information Enterprises, 1999.


          • Martin, Amy Suzanne. “Playing Detective: How Government Records and the Freedom of Information Act Can Help You Locate a Missing Person.” Heritage Quest 7 (July-August 1991), pp. 7-8.


          We hope this is helpful.