1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2019 10:11 AM by Lisha Penn

    Looking for casualty or after action reports from Vietnam


      I was wounded in action on or around 3/1/1969 while serving with Co. D 2/12th Cav 1st Air Cav Div in South Vietnam. I should have received my 2nd purple heart but did not. I'm looking for records to document that I was a casualty, such as casualty and after action reports.


      Thank you.

        • Re: Looking for casualty or after action reports from Vietnam
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Mr. Jeter,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 4 series Reports of Casualties, 1969-1971; Casualty Case Files, 1968-1971; After Action Reports, 1965-1972; and After Action Reports, 11/12/1968-3/11/1971 in the Records of U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that may contain the information that you seek. Some records are not yet digitized and available in the Catalog but not all. For access to and/or copies, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          We also suggest that you obtain a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs  and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1957 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.


          We hope this is helpful.