4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2019 9:48 AM by Melissa VanDerVeer

    Bronze Star help


      Hi There!


      I have been trying to track down any information pertaining to my great grandfather Edward F. Miner who served in Company B 66th Armored Infantry Battalion and according to his obituary he was awarded a Bronze Star. Through my research I have only been able to find his Army Serial Number and his enlistment date( 09 Nov 1943) but was hoping to find out if in fact he was awarded and how I may obtain any records pertaining to him.

      My father and him were extremely close and unfortunately my dad was in a work accident that has left him with partial damage in his brain. I was hoping that maybe showing him the records and or ordering a copy of a record for my great grandfather would bring some happiness to my father.

      I truly appreciate any response or guidance.


      All the best,


        • Re: Bronze Star help
          joan stachnik Tracker

          HI Melissa, if you haven't already done this, you should request any records about your great-grandfather from the St. Louis National Archives. Although most records were destroyed, they might have something. If you can get a copy of your great-grandfather's separation papers, they should list his decorations and the general orders awarding such. In addition, some veterans registered their separation papers with state and county veteran services after the war. It might be worth a try also. Hope this is of some help. joan

          3 people found this helpful
          • Re: Bronze Star help
            Lisha Penn Navigator

            Dear Ms. VanDerVeer,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you obtain a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            2 people found this helpful