1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 18, 2019 1:49 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking list of 869th AAA Organized Reserve personnel in 1950


      I am trying to confirm that my Father-in-Law was part of this particular Reserve Unit after WWII.  I have a photo that shows a group of men from Lake a Charles, LA (where we are from) doing training at Fort Bliss in Texas in August 1950.  The message on the back said he was a Sergeant at the time that the photo was taken.  I have been working on the Hungerford Family Genealogy for a long time but never knew of him reaching the rank of Sergeant.  Thank you,

        • Re: Seeking list of 869th AAA Organized Reserve personnel in 1950
          Rebecca Collier Guide

          Dear Ms. Hungerford,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) has custody of the U.S. Army Morning Reports and Rosters  for 1947-1975 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338). Reserve unit rosters are not included. RL-SL does have custody of morning reports for Reserve units that were called for Active Duty or Active Duty for Training (ADT). They also may have some inactive Army Reserve unit morning reports from the early 1950’s, but the Army discontinued daily reports of Reserve units in April of 1953.


          To make an inquiry, please contact the Archival Division Program by email at stl.archives@nara.gov. Researchers must specify the organizational unit and date. The RL-SL staff can then use an index to locate the microfilm reel or paper report.  Upon request, they will provide digitized images on DVD of organizational records, each taken from a roll of microfilm created by the Army in the 1950s and 1960s.  The original paper documents no longer exist. The response time for future requests may be six or more months, depending upon RL-SL having available resources and the total volume of requests received.


          If you would like to personally view the rosters or morning reports, RL-SL will make them available, by appointment only, in their Archival Research Room located at the National Personnel Records Center, Archival Research Room, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138. For a small fee, you may print copies of the pages you want from the microfilm. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Archival Research Room in advance, by phone at (314) 801-0850 or by email at stlarr.archives@nara.gov.

          The records of Army Reserve units may be in the custody of the U.S. Army Reserves History Office. For information and guidance on access to the Army Reserve Historical Research Collection, you may contact the Office of Army Reserve Archivist, 1401 Deshler Street SW, Fort McPherson, GA 30330. The telephone number is (404) 464-8461 and her email address is deborah.fosterking@usar.army.mil.

          We hope this information is helpful.


          1 person found this helpful