2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2020 9:51 AM by Marie Maxwell

Is it possible to do a history of who had lived at a particular address?

Dave Barrette Newbie

My daughter lives in a row house in Baltimore and I was wondering if it was possible to do a history of who may have lived there over the years? There is so much history in Baltimore I thought it would be interesting.

• Re: Is it possible to do a history of who had lived at a particular address?
          Marene Baker Adventurer

Hi there.  That is an interesting research project.  Because the city of Baltimore and the State of Maryland were never public domain states records related to the row house will not be part of the collection of the National Archives.  However the best place to start when looking for the history of a property is with the County Assessor’s office, in this case Baltimore County.  This might even be online. They should be able to give a fairly good record of who owned the property over time. Their older records may have been retired to the Maryland State Archives so don’t be surprised if they refer you to that organization, or simply tell you they don’t have records after a certain date, even if the property is older than that date.  Another great place to check is the Baltimore public library.  Once you get the names of the people who owned the property you could probably start researching them on sites such as Ancestry. 

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Is it possible to do a history of who had lived at a particular address?
            Marie Maxwell Adventurer

I have done a neighborhood history where I tracked who lived in the NW Truxton Circle area using the US Census, which is in the National Archives holdings. For the 1880 census and afterwards, addresses are included. Knowing the enumeration district of the address helps. You can use the Steve Morse site to find an enumeration district for a particular census year.

Then there are city directories, which Ancestry.com has. Looking for who lived at an address, even with their indexing, can be a pain. But that's an option.