2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2019 12:08 PM by Linda Mcgrady

How to find Chippewa ancestors

Linda Mcgrady Newbie

How can i find my Chippewa ancestors in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa? Their surname was Green. It seems that they went back and forth to those three or four states. I have just determined that my mother had Chippewa ancestors from Minnesota, Wisconsin and possibly Canada and Iowa. I would like to get information on more of her relatives. She was adopted at the age of three years after the death of her mother and grew up in Kentucky and Michigan so information is scant! She was raised there by her adopted family. She was never aware of the Ojibwe connection. Her surname was Green. Her Chippewa relative was surname Kling. They were listed on census records in Red Lake Minnesota but I feel certain that was not the original place that they registered.

My mother is deceased. I am 70 years old and want to find my ancestors before I leave this world! I started out trying to find her family, but it has now become almost an obsession for me to find "MY FAMILY". Please, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm afraid I've run out of ideas thank you in advance for any help you might give me

• Re: How to find Chippewa ancestors
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Mcgrady,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you review the National Archives websites Native American Heritage; Indian Census Rolls, 1995-1940; and BIA Records: Minnesota to ascertain the records that might be useful to your research and by using the full names of your ancestors. There is an all encompassing resource for Researching an Individual or Family which are also found among the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75). These records are organized by tribal nation. Please note that many American Indians who left reservations will not be captured in Federal censuses, and the BIA records for the plains/northern tribes only start in the late 1880’s. In addition, if an ancestor predates this period, then you will not find any information in NARA’s holdings.

You may browse the censuses at Free US Indian Rolls website at no cost to you.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful