1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 5, 2019 9:21 AM by Malisa Simco

Looking for pilot or radar operator flying F-14D Tomcat

Quin Carter Newbie

Looking for a pilot or radar operator flying a F-14D Tomcat for squadron VFC-111. I don't know much about them besides their last name is Shepherd. I recently came into possession of an airmen's bomber jacket with an identification patch with the last name shepherd. I just want to validate and identify the person who might have worn it. Any help in finding if there might have been someone who flew with the "Sundowners" would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Looking for pilot or radar operator flying F-14D Tomcat
          Malisa Simco Scout

Dear Mr. Carter,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The Fighter Squadron Composite (VFC-111) “Sun Downers” is a U.S. Navy Reserve adversary squadron based at the Naval Air Station in Key West, Florida. They have been active since November 2006.

Command histories for aviation squadrons dated after WWII are in the custody of the Naval Aviation History Branch, Naval History & Heritage Command, 805 Kidder Breese Street, SE, Washington Navy Yard, Washington, DC 20374-5060. The website is https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/naval-aviation-history.html.

Navy personnel diaries (also known as muster rolls) after 1976 are in the custody of the Navy Personnel Command (PERS-00J6), 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington, TN 38055.  These provide a listing of anyone who reported on-board each day, anyone who left, anyone who did not report, and anyone who reenlisted. They also include copies of the Officer Distribution Control Report (ODCR) and the Enlisted Distribution Verification Report (EDVR).  Individuals are listed by name, rank/rate and social security number.

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your research!