4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2019 2:04 PM by Lisha Penn

Seeking WWII Army organization chart

Michelle Schutte Cathey Newbie

Is anyone aware of a resource that would show an organization chart for the Army during WWII.  I want to find the division/corp that my Grandfather's company would have been in.  I thought maybe that would give me more information on what his company did during his service .. or maybe not.. I am still figuring out how to research this.  I have tried searching for organization charts but have had no luck.

• Re: Seeking WWII Army organization chart
          Elliot Schneider Tracker

Michelle,

What unit ste you looking at for you grandfather. There are several WW2 Theatre of Operations that took place during WW2. Such as the SWPTO- SouthEest Pacific Theatre of Operations, ETO- Eastern European Theatre of Operations and many more. If you have the unit many of us can help you to translate.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
              Michelle Schutte Cathey Newbie

Elliot,

He was in the 103rd Ordnance Med. Maintenance Company.  As far as I know he was stationed at Hawaii and Saipan during his time in WW2.  I have the morning reports for the 103rd and a small report on the 103rd. But it seems there isn't much information on that unit.  I am trying to understand how his unit rolls up in the hierarchy of the Army.  I thought maybe this could give me more information on his time there.

Many Thanks,

Michelle

Alex Daverede Newbie

MIchelle,

The U. S. Army of World War II hung the Ordnance label on a wide range of equipment that ranged from small arms to tanks.  The title of your grandfather’s unit, the 103rd Ordnance Medium Maintenance Company had repair capabilities in the middle of the range, there being light and heavy maintenance companies as well.  These units were normally fielded at the division and perhaps corps and army level, depending on where the capability was needed.

Medium maintenance companies worked to repair and overhaul field artillery, their prime movers, light armored and unarmored vehicles.  They were equipped with a range of shop trucks, vans, and trailers to move and house their gear, although if they stayed in one place for any amount of time they would readily move their operations to tents, temporary structures, or permanent buildings.

I hope you find this information useful.

A. J.

2 people found this helpful
                Lisha Penn Tracker

Dear Ms. Cathey,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Organizational Charts, 1945 in the Records of U.S. Army Forces in the Middle Pacific (World War II) (Record Group 494) that include the area of Hawaii and possibly, Saipan. The records are not digitized or available in the Catalog. For access to and/or copies, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

The historical data for January 1944 - 25 December 1945 of the 103rd Ordnance Medium Maintenance Company described in our previous response may indicate what unit(s) the 103rd reported to such as the Army Garrison Force, Saipan (later subsumed into the Western Pacific Base Command) and then the 46th Ordnance Battalion that was the Army Garrison Force, Saipan. The records may provide information about the activities of the unit.

You may wish to search the U.S. Army Center of Military History website for more information about the organizational structure of the U.S. Army during World War II.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!