1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 12, 2019 2:25 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking name of missing American during Operation Cobra

jon matthews Newbie

Hi there, I'm an Aussie trying to solve a mystery for a French family regarding the death of an American. A friend has a family holiday house in a small village on the coast of Brittany called Le Pouldu.( which is in the Finestere local Govt area )It was requisitioned by the Germans for a number of years then they left sometime during the confusion of Operation Cobra. Around this time a young American soldier was shot and killed as he stepped out on the veranda to have a smoke. Not sure if it was officially requisitioned as a billet or not. The story has been in the family for years and as yet no one has dug around for a name so I've decided it's definitely time this young American soldier had a name.

Combat Command B - From initial reading I assume he was with VIII Corps and probably part of Combat Command B (CCA stayed behind at Brest further north) who went with 6th Armored as they headed South to receive 4th Armored who had the Germans surrounded at Lorient. I started to try and break down all the individual units etc and then read there history and where possible try to find and read their official "battle/action" reports but there is so much material relating to Cobra that I have got myself well lost and hoping someone can help shine a light.

Events moved so swiftly at that time in August that there may well be no help in the records however he should be listed KIA although there is a chance details and location were not recorded. As you can see it's all guesswork on my part so am keen for some help

• Re: Seeking name of missing American during Operation Cobra
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Matthews,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub !

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 5 series pertaining to Operation Cobra in the Records of Headquarters, European Theater of Operations, United States Army (World War II) (Record Group 498) and in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that may include a listing of the units involved.

After determining the units, we suggest reviewing the casualty lists and/or morning reports of each of the units. The casualty lists are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) [email: archives2reference@nara.gov] and the morning reports are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) [email: stl.archives@nara.gov].

For additional information about Operation Cobra, please review pages 198-301 and 323-335 of the U.S. Center of Military History publication titled Breakout and Pursuit

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful