2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2019 10:41 AM by William Wells

    Seeking to know what ships my father served on


      My father, Cecil Roy Yarbro, from Jackson, Mississippi served in the Navy in World War II. I am writing a non fiction story which will be published and I need to know the ships he served on and the dates and as much as I can learn about his service in the Navy.

        • Re: Seeking to know what ships my father served on
          William Wells Wayfarer

          Cecil, The most sure way is to send an application to the NARA St. Louis Records Center.  There is a form (SF-180 I believe) to request his records.  I believe the cost is about $70 and it could take several months to fill. You can check their website. Also, some records were lost in a fire decades ago and NARA lists the range of records lost.   

          Another, and less accurate way, is to search on one of the for pay data services such as Fold3.com.   If you wish, I could search Fold3.com.  I use it for historical research.

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking to know what ships my father served on
            Lisha Penn Ranger

            Dear Mr. Yarbro,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Draft Registration Cards for Mississippi, 10/16/1940-3/31/1947 in the Records of the Selective Service System (Record Group 147). The records are not yet digitized and available in the Catalog. However, Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: ledgers and cards. The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy. The cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication that the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the cards. Please complete Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.


            We suggest that you obtain his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1955 are located at NARA’s National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.


            We also searched Ancestry and located Cecil Roy Yarbro’s World War II Draft; and his service on Navy vessel USS Leon in April 1945; July 1945; and October 1945. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/. Also, some of the images from Ancestry are available for free on Family Search at https://www.familysearch.org/en/.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful