1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 4, 2019 9:40 AM by Malisa Simco

Seeking documentation of Nichols Family

Robin Miller Newbie

Seeking documentation of Nichols Family living in or near Anson, Montgomery County, North Carolina in 1700's. I have documented my Nichols ancestry to Montgomery County, North Carolina back to the 1790 U.S. Federal Census and the North Carolina State Census for 1784-1787. The information states he was born in Swain County, North Carolina about 1722. However, due to lack of birth and death records that far back, I am unable to find anything to further document who his parents may have been.  I see many different names listed on the family trees of other people searching for the same person, but none of them are factually documented. There are various land grants for a person by same name  but I am unaware of any history of large amounts of land ownership within the family.  I would appreciate any suggestions about where else I might search especially within North Carolina, as I plan to make a trip there next Spring or Summer.

I note 2 people by the name of Nichols and Nichole's listed on some of the Roanoke Voyages. John Nichols and William Nicholes sailed in 1587. John did not stay, but later returned on the 1589 voyage. Would like to find information on John Nichols descendants. If possible to see if there is any links to my Nichols line, as I cannot find any immigration or passenger records for Nichols debarking in the VA or NC areas.

• Re: Seeking documentation of Nichols Family
          Malisa Simco Scout

Dear Robin Miller,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Swain County experienced at least two major fires that destroyed many of the early records from the area. We suggest reaching out to the Swain County Genealogical Society as they may have useful information in regards to your search. It may be conducive to your research to look at county records from the two counties that combined to create Swain county, as the practice in North Carolina was often for records to stay with the original county rather than being transferred to the newly created county.

It may be worthwhile for your research to browse additional kinds of records with the North Carolina Online Genealogy Records and this Gaston County Public Library webpage. It may be possible the Nichols you are seeking could have served as a Colonial soldier, or you may be able to locate probate records. These additional research avenues may help you trace the correct Nichols lineage.

We suggest utilizing this list of North Carolina genealogy resources compiled by the Library of Congress to aid in your research. We also suggest you contact the North Carolina state archives and state genealogical society for records and guidance on the Nichols search during the 18th century. It may be beneficial to consider checking into collections like those at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill and other university archives, as they may possible resources on the Roanoke descendants.

Additionally, we suggest you contact The National Archives of the United Kingdom, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, United Kingdom. The website is http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]