1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 22, 2019 1:31 PM by Jason Atkinson Branched from an earlier discussion.

Seeking records of Unit 731

Brooklyn Thomas Newbie

This may sound like a stupid question, but is Unit 731 and the Manhattan Project the same thing just two different names? I'm trying really hard to find a good primary source for Unit 731 and this would be great if it's the same thing. So yeah. I've been looking it up but getting nothing so yeah. If anyone knows anything please tell me

• Re: Seeking records of Unit 731
          Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Ms. Thomas,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Unit 731 was an Japanese organization that conducted experiments in chemical and biological warfare.  It was not the same as the Manhattan Project, which was the American project for developing nuclear weapons.  These two programs were not related to each other.

The National Archives and Records Administration has records pertaining to Unit 731.  For a list of records, please see the finding aids emailed to you. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via at archives2reference@nara.gov.

The U.S. Army Center of Military History also has sources relating to Unit 731.  Please see the finding aids for a listing of their materials. Also, please see their Inquiries and Visitor Policy page for information about conducting research with them. The National Diet Library, Japan may also have records related to Unit 731.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful