1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 26, 2019 2:14 PM by Malisa Simco

Seeking passenger lists for Charleston SC from Ireland

Sheryl Galvan Newbie

I am seeking passenger lists to Charleston. SC during 1820-1840 for Robert Lowry who came from Ireland. He is my 2x great grandfather (Robert Lowry) who was the first immigrant in my family. He first shows up in Sumter, SC on the 1840 census. He was born in Ireland on 12 Nov 1818 (source: gravestone) and died in Coleman County, Texas on 13 Feb 1889 (source: gravestone). He is buried Trickham Cemetery in Trickham, Coleman Co., TX. Robert Lowry married to Esther Wheeler. His son, William James (my great grandfather), is also buried in Trickham Cemetery.

• Re: Seeking passenger lists for Charleston SC from Ireland
          Malisa Simco Scout

Dear Ms. Galvan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located series titled Transcripts of Passenger Arrival Lists, ca. 10/1819 - ca. 12/1832 in the Records of the U.S. Customs Service (Record Group 36) that are part of the National Archives Microfilm Publication No. M334; and Portland, Maine, Sundry Customs Records and Vessel Passenger Lists, 1842 - 1865 also in Record Group 36 that are part of National Archives Microfilm Publication No. M575. Digitized images of these series are not available in the Catalog at this time.

Charleston passenger arrival records are maintained within sets kept for Atlantic Ports. M334 and M575 contain the records for Atlantic Ports within the 1820-1840 timeframe, but please be aware there is a gap in the Charleston arrival records from 1829-1890. Charleston is covered only from 1820-1829.

Microfilm publication M334 has been digitized by FamilySearch and can be viewed here.Microfilm publication M575 has been digitized by Ancestry can be viewed be here.There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]