1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 26, 2019 10:36 AM by Malisa Simco

    Seeking father's records during Vietnam War


      My father served in Vietnam around 1968-1969 era. He was stationed on a Patrol Boat, River (PBR) on Vam Co Tay river. He received a gold star and bronze star for "courage under fire" for helping rescue sailors being attacked on March 30, 1969. I was trying to locate his records as he passed away. Any information on how to obtain his records will be appreciated. Thank you

        • Re: Seeking father's records during Vietnam War

          Dear Ms. Montuya,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          To seek your father’s records, we suggest you begin by requesting his Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1956 and prior to January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. 


          Additionally, for operational records of your father’s unit, please contact the Naval History and Heritage Command. The records would be under either Task Force 116, River Patrol Squadron 5, or Task Force 194 - SEALORDS.


          We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!


          [Information provided by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]