4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2019 8:00 AM by J. Andrew

Seeking records of Pietro Giuseppe "Peter Joseph" Torcivia

Alex Marsh Newbie

Need help finding records of Pietro Giuseppe "Peter Joseph" Torcivia. He is my 2nd great grandfather, and I would like to know more about him as the picture showing him has him in uniform. https://prnt.sc/pxu0g3  That's the picture.

• Re: Seeking records of Pietro Giuseppe "Peter Joseph" Torcivia
          J. Andrew Scout

There are lots of people here that would like to help you, but we need more information to go on. What information about him do you already have?  Where have you already looked?  What types of information are you trying to find? Where and when did he live?  Was he a citizen of the United States or some other country?  Did he ever immigrate to the United States?  If so, roughly when?  Did he live in the United States during any of the decennial censuses? What organization is that uniform of?  What nation was that organization affiliated with?  What years was he a part of that organization?

5 people found this helpful
              Alex Marsh Newbie

Thank you for your comment. I do have some more information. Relating militarily, I have absolutely nothing to go off of. Basically I'm trying to find out what war he was in. He was born 1877 in Santo Stefano di Camastra, Italy. He was born in Italy and emigrated to the US, I am not able to find out what year he emigrated at this time. The hat he is wearing is where I'm focusing my attention on, it looks like it say "SSG" which I know not of, or have bore anything from the internet. The hat also displays two hands holding a cross together. Other than that, I can't find anything else, but I will update as I try to get more. I appreciate you taking your time helping me out.

J. Andrew Scout

Do you know what states he lived in when he moved to the United States.

The uniform as it appears in the picture and as you describe it is not anything the United States military ever used.  You could check with sources on the Italian military, however the cross makes me suspect that this is some sort of civil society, religious society or fraternal organization with a religious character, most likely Roman Catholic given that it is Italy.  If you are correct in reading that as SSG, then that brings to mind the Italian name for the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, which is L'Ordine Equestre del Santo Sepolcro di Gerusalemme (OESSG).  The tricolor sash makes me think this is an Italian organization or an Italian branch of an international organization.

If he was born in 1877, that would make him 40 years old at the start of US participation in the WWI, so while he would have registered for the draft, it is unlikely he would have been called up, given his age.  If he did serve in the US military during a war, the Spanish American War in 1898 would be more likely, assuming he was in the United States at the time.  

Also, searching Ancestry gets a number of results for a person or persons with that name or variations on that, living in Milwaukee. Might that be the person you are looking for?

Some of the examples: 

U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-CurrentBIRTH, MARRIAGE & DEATH
                  NAME: Pietro Giuseppe Torcivia
                  BIRTH: 1877 - Messina, Città Metropolitana di Messina, Sicilia, Italy
                  DEATH: 1949 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, United States of America

1910 United States Federal CensusCENSUS & VOTER LISTSView Image
                  NAME: Pietro Torcivia
                  SPOUSE: Maria Torcivia
                  BIRTH: abt 1878 - Italy
                  ARRIVAL: 1903
                  RESIDENCE: 1910 - Milwaukee Ward 3, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

1920 United States Federal CensusCENSUS & VOTER LISTSView Image
                  NAME: Peter Toreson
                  BIRTH: abt 1877 - Italy
                  ARRIVAL: 1910
                  RESIDENCE: 1920 - Milwaukee Ward 3, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007WILLS, PROBATES, LAND, TAX & CRIMINAL
                  NAME: Giuseppe P Torcivia
                  BIRTH: 11 Nov 1877 - It
                  DEATH: Jun 1949

U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995SCHOOLS, DIRECTORIES & CHURCH HISTORIESView Image
                  NAME: Peter Torcivia
                  RESIDENCE: 1913 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
                  1 person found this helpful
                Malisa Simco Scout

Dear Mr. Marsh,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I), 1917 - 1939 (Record Group 163)  that includes a draft registration card for Guiseppe Torcivia (National Archives Publication No. M1509). For access to and/or copies of this application, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta, GA (RE-AT) via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.

As part of our on-going commitment to preserve our records, the National Archives has entered into partnerships with Ancestry and Fold3 to digitize some of NARA's holdings. The draft card for Guiseppe is available in digital form and can be viewed online via Fold3. There may be a fee for using Fold3. Instead, you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

Additionally, to seek the further records of Pietro Giuseppe Torcivia, we suggest you request his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful