4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2019 4:40 PM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking Military records of James Byron Penrod

Penelope Maurer Newbie

I am trying to find the Military record of my father, James Byron Penrod of Kansas City, Missouri.  I have a picture of him in Uniform with his ribbons by don't know what they were for.  This research is for the 4th generation baby quilt, James Byron Penrod the IV.  I would appreciate any help that you may be able to give me.  Pene Penrod Maurer

• Re: Seeking Military records of James Byron Penrod
          Malisa Simco Scout

Dear Ms. Maurer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

To seek the records of James Byron Penrod, please begin by requesting his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

Additionally, as part of our on-going commitment to preserve our records, the National Archives has entered into partnerships with Ancestry and Fold3 to digitize some of NARA's holdings. We located a draft registration card for James Byron Penrod within the series WWII Draft Registration Cards for Missouri, 10/16/1940 - 03/31/1947 that has been digitized via Fold3. There may be a fee for using Fold3. Instead, you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!

4 people found this helpful
            joan stachnik Scout

HI Penelope, if you haven't already tried, you might want to search Familysearch.org. It's a free service after registration. I did a search and found separation papers for a James B Penrod from KC, Missouri, from the collection: Missouri, Reports of Separation Notices, 1941-1946 (provided by the Missouri State Archives). I was not able to attach the file, but this individual was a pilot with the 511th Bomber Squadron, and born November 1917 in Golden City, MO. The separation papers list years of service and decoration. Hope this is of some help. joan

2 people found this helpful
              Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Penelope,

Your father was very decorated as well serving ww2 and  retiring in the AF in 1971 according to the Officer registers. Can you  take a picture of his ribbons and post. Many individuals can help you identify. I suggest calling the following to obtain records of your father here is link and online request form from the Missouri State Achives.

MISSOURI STATE ARCHIVES
              600 WEST MAIN
              PO BOX 1747
              JEFFERSON CITY, MO 65102-1747

Submit your Research Request to archref@sos.mo.gov or through the online request form.

Joan great find with wonderful information.

Just a side note I found a William Penrod also very decorated with a silver star award. I presume this is his brother.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

2 people found this helpful
                Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Penelope,

Found this hope this helps you in researching your father. Now you can hopefully obtain copies of those orders. Matbe someone can help me but lost the information for the Air Force Records.

AF Award cards

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful