1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 20, 2019 9:11 AM by Malisa Simco

    Seeking names of Cherokee relatives

      How do I find names related to removal or relocating of Native Americans prior to Dawes. I am researching my personal history, I found a connection with Eastern Cherokee in Dawes and have DNA to match but I never knew the history of that side of my biological father.
        • Re: Seeking names of Cherokee relatives

          Dear Ms. Decker,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          In regards to the removal and relocation of the Cherokee, we have ledgers of the Cherokee who took a land allotment and stayed in the east from 1817 and 1819. These records are available on National Archives Microfilm Publication No. M208 and partly available for free via Fold3. Additionally, from 1835 to 1884, the Eastern Cherokee participated in census rolls, right before the passage of the Dawes Act. The Henderson Roll from 1835 provides head of family, information about the family, and what they owned. Other rolls were the Mullay, Siler, Chapman, Poweel, Swetland, and Hester Roll that were taken to show eligibility for payments through the 1835 treaty. These records are available in the National Archives Catalog for you to browse.


          We also located Cherokee Emigration Rolls that may be of interest to your research, but have not been fully digitized in the Catalog. For access to and/or copies of the non-digitized part this series, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.


          We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!


          [Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]