1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 15, 2019 9:59 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking birth place to search for birth certificate


      I need help finding my fiance's place of birth to obtain and request his birth certificate. He has always been told that he was born in Pittsfield, MA and after endless hours searching along side the clerk records personnel there is no record of him being born in Pittsfield, MA. His earliest memory, his baptism record and social security was all obtained in Miami, FL. Is there anyway we can do a free search to find out where he was born in order to obtain a birth certificate? Please help

        • Re: Seeking birth place to search for birth certificate
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Croteau,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          There is no nationwide index for births or birth certificates, nor do any states have make available online indexes. We suggest that you contact the state vital records office for any state where you think he may have been born.  See the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics for Florida births and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Registry of Vital Records and Statistics for Massachusetts births.  For information see the following https://www.usa.gov/replace-vital-documents#item-36582


          If your fiance was born prior to 1940, there may be a listing for him on the 1940 census, which would typically include a listing for his place of birth. Records of the 1940 Census can be accessed online for free through the Official 1940 Census Website and the Population Schedules for the 1940 Census via the National Archives Catalog.  The records on both websites are not name indexed.  To use them, you need to identify the enumeration district in which of the person you are searching for was residing and then read through the returns for that district. There are also various genealogy websites such as Ancestry and FamilySearch that provide access to the 1940 records and earlier census records with name searchable indexing.  Some websites may charge a fee for this service. Instead, you can access Ancestry for free at any National Archives location through the Archives Library Information Center (ALIC). Your local public and university libraries may also provide access to Ancestry or other genealogy websites to their patrons.


          The questionnaires for the 1950 Census and 1960 Census also asked for the place of birth. The records for these censuses are still closed to the general public. Individuals may request their own records (before they are publicly available) via the Census Bureau's Age Search service. This service provides individual information from censuses that are still protected by the 72-year rule, but only to the named person, his or her heirs, or legal representatives. There is a Congressionally-mandated fee for this service. Individuals interested in requesting a search of their personal census records must complete and submit to the Census Bureau a form BC-600, Application for Search of Census Records, or a form BC-600sp, Solicitud Para Busqueda De Registros Censales.


          We hope this information is helpful.

          3 people found this helpful