1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 14, 2019 12:46 PM by Malisa Simco

Seeking help to understand grandfather's OMPF

esther broth Newbie

I am trying to learn more about my Grandfather's time spent in WWII  in the Pacific Theater. A majority of his records were lost in the  fire of '73. The Archives sent me what they had that was still somewhat legible. This is what I have pieced together. Can anyone help me figure some of it out? His name is Umlas, Charles , Battles and campaigns Ryukus GO 33 WD 45 as amended. He attended the service school of AAF electrical in 1943 .

There is a form about examination results that says to the best of the signers ability my grandfather was qualified for and then typed in it says special assignment, but the next page in the pile is a report of physical examination and Induction stamped Feb 3 1943 and it is stamped rejected. The next page gives a clean bill of health and the following page says rejected stamped across it and it says administrative reject-limited service quota filled- (I am guessing he had a sigh of relief the first time he was called up- I am assuming that's what this means).

Then there is a small page that says organizations to which attached under that heading are some lines that are not clear, but then a line about  -463 AAF Base Unit Geiger FLD  & 1901 Engr Avn Bn Geiger Field  The next page says Foreign service and shows he left from Seattle April 17 1945 and arrived in Okinawa/ IE Shima May 22, 1945 . There is a page that says  WD AGO Form 163. There is something typed CE and under that is Co. 928th Engr Avn Regt. and under that is Heavy Mach Gunner ssn 605 and then it lists credits and awards.

Where can I start my search? I tried google, but did not get much.

• Re: Seeking help to understand grandfather's OMPF
          Malisa Simco Scout

Dear Ms. Broth,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that includes a unit history of the 1901st Engineer Aviation Battalion for 1951. We also searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located: histories for 10 April 1943- 7 September 1944, 10 April 1943 - 30 September 1944, and September - November 1945 & January 1946; general orders for 1943 - 1946; movement/warning orders for October - December 1943; and a miscellaneous file for 10 April 1943 - 1945 of the 928th Engineer Aviation Regiment. For access to and/or copies of these unit records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

The WWII historical and operational records of the units listed in your request have been microfilmed by the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA). We searched the Air Force History Index for microfilm using the units you provided and located 4 records for 928th Engineer Aviation Regiment (Engr Avn Regt); 1 record for 463rd Army Air Force (AAF) Base Unit, Geiger Field (FLD); and 1 record for 1901st Engineer Aviation Battalion (Engr Avn Bn), Geiger Field. Please read the brief abstract of each to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. If the reel number begins with A, B or C, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to them. If the reel number begins with D - Z, the microfilm is still security classified and RDT2 will not be able to make the reel available to you. The original paper copy from which the film was created is still in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) and has been declassified. For access to these records, please contact AFHRA, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424. The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful