2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2019 1:29 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking records of enlistment


      Is there anywhere I can find the date of my grandfather's enlistment? Preferably online? If not online, then where? He was a member of the “Thundering Herd” 8th Armored Division.

        • Re: Seeking records of enlistment
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you have information on your relative perhaps a name, DOB, place of birth. There are lots of people here that can assist you with many secondary resources.




          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of enlistment
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Bethel,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The World War II era Army Enlistment Records for approximately 1938 through 1946 are available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases). Please search the database by entering the last name, # sign, and first name (both in caps). There may be some gaps in the records.


            Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: ledgers and cards.  The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy.  The cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication that the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the cards. Please complete Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.


            We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!