3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2019 1:53 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking radio logs and/or sitreps from 1/6th Infantry, Americal Division

Robert Kirsten Newbie

I was the forward Battalion RTO for 1/6th Infantry, 198th LIB, Americal Division from it's inception at Ft Hood in the summer of 1967, through our deployment by ship to Vietnam in Sep of 1967; and continuing in that role through to my DEROS from Vietnam in Oct of 1968.  I wrote the radio logs for battalion communications along with my dear departed buddy, Wilbur R Wood.  I would like to be able to recover a copy of these to facilitate a book project I have begun. Can I get copies of the radio logs and/or sitreps from 1/6th Infantry, Americal Division from Oct 1967 to Oct 1968?

• Re: Seeking radio logs and/or sitreps from 1/6th Infantry, Americal Division
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Kristen,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Infantry Unit Records, 1965 - ca. 1973 in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that includes a listing of the records of the 1st/6th Infantry Regiment. Other than the organizational history from 1812 to 1971, the remaining records are dated from 1969 to 1971.

We also located two series titled Situation Reports, 9/1967 - 11/1971 of the 23rd Infantry Division (AMERICAL) and Situation Reports, 10/27/1967 - 10/19/1971 of the 198th Infantry Brigade (Light)  in Record Group 472 that may contain the SITREPS you seek. These reports have not been digitized.

For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with you research!

2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking radio logs and/or sitreps from 1/6th Infantry, Americal Division
              Robert Kirsten Newbie

I can’t thank you enough for this grand start in my search for the old radio logs which I helped write so many years ago.  I will contact the “National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2)” to dig-in and see what we can find.  One extra question for you, if I may – The 1/6th, 198th LIB was an Americal Division reaction force from the ’68 TET offensive onward.  That meant that we were OPCON to other divisions, which (if my memory is correct) included the 1st Marine Division (particularly during the ‘’68 TET vicinity of Danang in Feb of ’68); and at times the 196th LIB and possibly also the 173rd Brigade.  All of this was in Quang Ngai, and in ’68.  Would I have to research their archives to see our logs or SITREP reports? This is most exciting for me, and I am hopeful of some familiar records that can fill in details of our engagements.

Sorry, one correction - just heard from an old Army buddy that we were not OPCON to the 173rd, but to the "3rd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division".