2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2020 9:18 PM by John Yip

Seeking shipping lists for Jamaica to Panama

My grandfather who was born in Jamaica and went to Panama 1910 and 1913.  We've gone to Panama. Nothing! I don't think my grandfather was a laborer.  He was a literate man.  I have journal entries written by him as to how he traveled.  I can't find the names of the ships either.  I really need help finding out his travels to Panama from Jamaica. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking shipping lists for Jamaica to Panama
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Edwards,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest you search the National Archives of Panama to determine what types of passenger arrival and immigrant records may exist in Panama. It also may be worthwhile for you to check the Jamaica Archives & Records Department to ascertain if departure records exist for 1910 and 1913.

There is a NARA Prologue article Looking for an Ancestor in the Panama Canal Zone, 1904-1914 that may provide additional information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking shipping lists for Jamaica to Panama
            John Yip Newbie

Hello Ms Edwards,

I noticed your post and I am myself looking for almost the same information.  My grandfather went to Panama in about1906 and I could find no trace of him in Panama.  Have you been able to find a Passenger list for people arriving and leaving Colon?

If it's of any help to you, I found this reference to Panama Records:

CANAL ZONE GOVERNMENT

PANAMA CANAL COMPANY 

Agency Records Control Schedule (ARCS)

No. 7

Records of the Civil Affairs Bureau

Item 104 - Marriage Licenses

Item 106 - Incoming Passenger Lists

Item 107 - Outgoing Passenger Lists

This is as far as I got, as I cannot locate the above items of interest to me.

John Yip