1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2019 12:54 PM by Malisa Simco

    Seeking record of son's dishonorable discharge


      How do I find my dead son's dishonorable discharge records?

        • Re: Seeking record of son's dishonorable discharge

          Dear Ms. Horat,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          To seek the records of your son, please begin by requesting his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          If he was dishonorable discharged, there should be a general courts-martial case file for him. U.S. Army general courts-martial (GCM) records from 1917 to 1976 and U.S. Navy GCM records from 1951 to 1976 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Please contact them for access to these records. Their email address is stl.archives@nara.gov. These records include Marine Corps GCMs as well.


          We hope this is helpful!


          1 person found this helpful