2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2019 3:46 PM by Aaron Masterson

    Seeking father's military service number


      I am trying to find my father's military ID number.

        • Re: Seeking father's military service number

          Dear Mr. Masterson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If your father served after 1970, his Social Security Number was used as his service number. If he served prior to 1971, his service number would be in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). We suggest that you request a copy of his OMPF by providing as much information you know about him. OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!


          2 people found this helpful