2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2019 12:26 PM by Amy Lessard

Seeking deck logs & photos of USS Adroit (MSO-509)

Amy Lessard Newbie

Hello, I am looking for deck logs and pictures from the USS Adroit (MSO-509) for the years of 1978-1984. My boyfriend served on the Adroit these years and I would like to present him with the logs on Christmas as a gift. I was also wondering how I could find pictures of the crew from that time period? Thank you for your help.

• Re: Seeking deck logs & photos of USS Adroit (MSO-509)
          Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Ms. Lessard,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck log of the USS Adroit (MSO-509) for 1978 through 1983. For access to and/or copies of this log, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also searched the National Archives Catalog for photographs of the USS Adroit during the given time period and located and located nine images that have been digitized and can be viewed and downloaded through the Catalog.  There may be additional photographs of the ship that have not yet been digitized.  Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) via email at stillpix@nara.gov to inquire about photographs.

For access to U.S. Navy deck logs dated after 1983, please write to the Ships Deck Logs Section, Naval History & Heritage Command, 805 Kidder Breese Street, SE, Washington Navy Yard, Washington, DC 20374-5060 or contact them via email at archives@navy.mil. The Naval History & Heritage Command may also have additional photographs.

Plus, we searched online and located a page about the USS Adroit on the unofficial website NavSource Online that has a few photographs from the requested time period. Another potential unofficial sources for photographs is other former crew members of the ship.  You may want to contact veterans groups, websites, and internet forums (particularly those with a Navy focus) in order to seek former crew members and inquire whether any have photographs that they can share.  An example of such a source is the following page for the USS Adroit on “Together We Served.”

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful