2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2019 11:09 AM by dakotan

Seeking help with 1900 Census

dakotan Newbie

I'm currently in the process of researching my Great-Grandfather's Italian immigrant family that resided in Belmont County, Ohio. My G-G-G-Grandparents had immigrated from Italy, ending up in Ohio at some point and had 5 children who were born between 1894 and 1900 all in Ohio according the 1910, 1920, 1930, & 1940 US Censuses but regardless of this I have yet to find a 1900 Census with any of the family members on it.

I have utilized both Ancestry & FamilySearch and resorted to manually skimming through the 1900 census to see if it was incorrectly transcribed possibly but turned up nothing. Is there a possibility they were not recorded? Here's the information I have, All resided in Smith, Belmont County Ohio in 1910:

Parents

Santa Bandonee or Bandoni 1850-1920 / Immigrated in either 1868 or 1883

Angelina Bandonee or Bandoni 1866-1943 / Immigrated in 1890 or 1891

Children

Teny? Bandonee 1894-?

Louis Bandonee 1896-1964

Lawrence Bandonee 1899-1972

William Bandonee 1903-1974

Frank Bandonee 1904-1960

• Re: Seeking help with 1900 Census
          Malisa Simco Scout

Dear Dakota Fisher,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

It is possible they were not recorded in the 1900 Census. We suggest reading this article from FamilyTree Magazine to gain more insight on “hidden” ancestors. Spelling variations, as well as their movement throughout the U.S., impacts the documentation of your ancestors.

Additionally, we utilized Family Search and found a couple hits that may be of interest to you. We located Santoni and Angela Bandoni in the New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1891. They both immigrated to the U.S. in 1891. We also located Saute and Angelina Bandone in the marriage record of Frank Bandone and Medora Fiocco within the New York City Marriage Records.

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking help with 1900 Census
              dakotan Newbie

Thank you for the information, I gave the article a read and found it to be quite informing. The two records you attached I have already discovered in my search. I'm not 100% certain that the New York Passenger List is correct as there is a young boy that came over with Santoni & Angelina named Alfredo that I've found no record of him being their actual child but it may be a nephew.

Between 1895-1896 my family lived in Captina Creek, Washington Township in Belmont County Ohio and between 1902-1904 they lived in Peavine Creek, Washington Township. From what I've found, Washington Township was a rural area that was farmland I believe for the most part. My G-G-G-Grandfather Santa was a Fruit & Stock Dealer and in 1910 the family were living on a farm in Smith Township which is just North of Washington Township. I'm assuming that it's possible he was a farmer in 1900 or at least resided in the area.  Is there any records I should look through to try and locate them in 1900?

Another interesting issue with the census was in 1920, my G-G-G-Grandmother is not recorded with her family in the Belmont County area but appears again in the 1930 Census in the home of my G-G-Grandfather. I found that she had returned from Italy after visiting her Father in 1913 but 7 years would be a large gap for her not to be recorded anywhere. Any ideas on that?